Sunday, May 17, 2009

Actual information

We are doing pretty well (today). The first half of the week, Sunday - Wednesday, went quite swimmingly. Gail and Ava didn't have any problems, and I was able to sleep through the night in the other room (either living room or bedroom, whichever wasn't occupied by babes and boobs). However Wednesday night Ava decided she she was not pleased with 1am to 3am. I'm not sure exactly what it was that made her feel this way, but she let us know of her disapproval. Gail hadn't been able to get much sleep, and when the silver bullet (breastfeeding) didn't work, she was tired and frustrated and didn't know what to do, so she woke me up to share in the misery, erm, joy of a baby. Sadly lacking boobs myself, I've always had to resort to creative soothing. So that mom could get some sleep, I took Ava for a midnight drive. Babies like car rides, its a pretty good approximation to womb like conditions. So I drove around in circles on Flat Rock Road for about 2 hours. Sometimes she slept, sometimes she woke up and voiced her displeasure. I had the foresight to bring along marital aids (or as Gail likes to call them - "earplugs"), so when Ava was dissin' 2:19AM, I was able to hear the muffled version. Along the way we saw 4 deer, 2 cats, 2 racoons, and a possum. By the time it was close to 3am, and I knew Gail had gotten almost 2 hours rest, we cruised back to the hacienda. Ava got a midnight snack, and the both of em chilled for the rest of the evening. I stayed jacked up on coffee and delirious for the next few hours.
Thursday I'm fairly worthless at work, although I did manage to help mount a cd rack on the wall. Thursday night, repeat. We saw 3 deer (although to be fair, maybe it was two and we saw the 2nd deer twice), 2 cats, and two other scampering sets of unidentified eyes. This time I drove around for only about an hour and a half, and came back hoping Ava would sleep easy. Gail fed her, then we swaddled her and put her in the vibrating chair on top of the bed. It worked! Huzzah! So mom and baby got some rest. I was bent from having really weird sleep hours, and around 4am emailed in that I was too stupid to work. Friday I just did my best to keep it together. Saturday was ok, although it felt like there was never enough time to do anything. Dishes were piling up, Gail kept trying to do stuff like laundry, and I kept having to bitch slap her and say - get a nap honey! Throughout the day we kept talking about breaking down and calling in some help from Aunt Randi, but we managed to get through the day.
I guess Gail had gotten enough naps on Saturday such that during the night she was able to cope with the fussiness. I think at one point Gail tried to wake me up, and I rolled over and said something probably incoherent or ridiculous, and it got me off the hook, because she let me sleep through the night. So today I feel almost mentally at par, and have had time to catch up on the blogging. I guess the schedule for updates will for the foreseeable future be on the weekends. I'd hoped to be more consistent throughout the week, but breeding is so much easier than rearin...


She's like this all the time, I swear!

2 comments:

  1. Excellent update from the daddy!

    You are both doing a great job- Nana

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's seriously enjoying all the pampering you get at this stage in life. Live it up Ava...oh how the time flies by!

    ReplyDelete