Thursday, March 18, 2010

Tree Planting Memorial

Folks my Dad worked with in the Forest Service all pitched in and donated enough money to purchase 25 trees for a Trees Atlanta project. They're 10 gallon trees and I didn't realize that they're over a $100 each. (Wow! The Forest Service is awesome! Thanks guys. I know you loved my Dad - and he loved you too.) What an amazing memorial! I couldn't help but get choked up several times because it meant so much and was such an appropriate memorial for my Dad.
So on March 13, our family and as many Forest Service folks that could make it, along with the Trees Atlanta volunteers, as well as some students from the local school all converged on Centennial Elementary School in downtown Atlanta to plant them an amazing grove of trees. There are white oaks, overcupped oaks, persimmons, maples, hickories... more that I can remember! Luckily all these folks were here and we were able to get them all planted in three hours on an early spring morning.



I'm glad so many kids were there. My Dad loved to teach kids about trees. You can bet my tree projects rocked back in school.


Ava and Jeremy listen to instructions.


I place one of many bags of my Dad's compost at the foot of each tree. Now each one's got a little Daddy love in it.


(Jeremy is hijacking the text henceforth.)
Gail had to do most of the heavy lifting and digging for her crew.


Gaby and Nana discussing what to do next.


Bo and Randi went around and sprinkled some of Don's compost on each tree.

Good job Bo Bo!

No comments:

Post a Comment